By Eunice Chege
Chicken Coconut Curry
This dish is indigenous on Kenyan Indian Ocean coastline, areas like Lamu, Malindi, and Mombasa. Also known as “Kuku Paka” in Swahili. It consists of chicken in spicy coconut sauce. Best served with coconut rice or chapatis. Recipe for the coconut rice available too.
Let’s make our mouth-watering dish!
8 Pieces skinless chicken thighs
2 Teaspoon freshly minced ginger
3 Teaspoon freshly minced garlic
2 Fresh tomatoes purée
1 Teaspoon tomato paste
2 Medium sized finely chopped onions
1 Teaspoon fresh rosemary herb
1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
3 Green chillies, finely chopped, reduce number for mild flavour.
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
2 small fresh lime.
4 Tablespoon Vegetable oil (I use Sunflower oil)
2 Cups coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Fresh coriander (dhania) for garnish
3 large potatoes halved (optional)
3 hard-boiled eggs or more (optional)
This is done 3 hours before cooking or overnight.
- Place the skinless chicken thighs in a plastic freezer bag or a bowl with juice from the lime above, half of the ginger, garlic rosemary, chillies, little salt, and one tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Mix them well, put in a refrigerator and let marinate for 2 to 4 hours or even overnight.
- Grill the marinated chicken in the oven for about 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can sear chicken in a pan till it’s crispy and brown.
- In a separate large pan, sauté the remaining oil and onions till light brown.
- Add the tomato purée, the tomato paste,the rest of the garlic, ginger, rosemary and chillies and stir. After a minute or two add cumin seeds and turmeric. keep stirring over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed. Lower the heat and let simmer till the sauce is thick.
- Add the chicken pieces, mix well, cover and let simmer till the chicken is tender about for thirty minutes
- Garnish with coriander. Serve with basmati rice or chapatis
Coconut Rice Recipe
Coconut rice also known as ‘Wali Wa Nazi’ in Swahili.
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- Little salt to taste
- Wash the rice thoroughly in a bowl and put in a strainer to remove any remaining water, set aside.
- Bring coconut milk and water to a boil in a pan over medium-high heat
- Add the rice and salt mix well and let boil. Keep stirring for about 5 minutes or when the water reduces to rice level.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer. The rice is cooked when it becomes fluffy and dry.
- Serve the coconut chicken curry over rice while still hot.
Enjoy your dish!